Having trouble with your Christmas shopping? Not quite sure what to get your loved ones this year? If you know a book lover, you’re in luck! I have provided a small guide of recommended books separated by genre. If your receiver likes a certain book, I have done my best to recommend more like those reads. At the end you’ll find more bookish items that your bookworm is sure to faun over. I hope with this busy season upon us I have been able to make this process a bit easier on you. Happy shopping! May the odds be ever in your favor.
- The Walking Dead comics by Robert Kirkman
These comics are great for your family and friends who love the all the zombies, action, and gore that come along with an apocalyptic world. If they’re a fan of AMC’s The Walking Dead, this is the perfect gift to give!
If you’re looking for a TWD fandom gift look HERE to find the official cook book and survival guide!
2. The Clockwork Dynasty by Daniel H. Wilson
This book is sci-fi, steampunk, and historical all wrapped into one. It intertwines both past and present. Anyone who is a fan of HBO’s Westworld will find all the joy in reading this mystery filled story. We uncover secrets–machines living as humans among us for how long? Constantly brining you to turn the pages to discover more and about these automatons.
3. White Flag of the Dead series by John Talluto
This series certainly falls right in line with The Walking Dead. If you have any loved ones who are like me–caught up with TWD comics–this will be the greatest series for them to start! Being a zombie lover myself, this surely helps when experiencing those fandom withdrawals!
4. Game of Thrones series by George R.R. Martin
Say no more! I know exactly what your GOT lovers are looking for. The box set which you can find right here is currently only $35.95 on Amazon. What. A. Steal. This book set is perfect for anyone looking to either A. Read them before the show ends or B. Read them after the show ends!
Fandom gifts come in all shapes and sizes for this series. My favorite site is Valaryian Steel for your GOT lover. Replica swords, helms, armor and more! You’ll have trouble in choosing just one.
5. The Rosebush Series by Christina Hart
This series is Alice in Wonderland meets Narnia! The perfect escape for your family and friends. Join Ethelyn Jaslove and her adventures that spread throughout three magical books. Purchase them on Amazon and now for a short time only, the kindle editions are free! While you explore Christina Hart’s page also check out Fresh Skin; the perfect novel for those vampire lovers you may know.
6. The Bird and the Sword series by Amy Harmon
Amy Harmon writes fantasy!? And she does it well! You may have seen her name fall under many Romance novels but she tested a genre, ran with it, and SLAYYYED. What you will find in The Bird and the Sword and The Queen and the Cure is unlike anything you will ever read. Do your bookish friends and family love themselves a strong, romance-filled magical fantasy? They’ll thank you later for these reads!
7. Dark Matter by Blake Crouch
This book is my #1 recommendation for sci-fi fans. A multi-verse, sci-fi thriller will keep your loved ones occupied for hours. Don’t interrupt them though! Blake Crouch will take you on the ride of your life–in hopes this scientific theory really doesn’t exist out there. If this book has been read and you want more like it, be sure to check out Maybe in Another Life by Taylor Jenkins Reid.
8. The Martian and Artemis by Andy Weir
Are your friends and family obsessed with the unknown O U T E R S P A C E? Andy Weir tells The Martian with so much humor, you’ll forget you’re currently on Mars. There’s a plus here! Once you come down from The Martian hangover, you can start them back up on Artemis; Andy Weir’s new release. Want to add some bookish charm? NASA t-shirts are the perfect side gift with these reads!
If you have family and friends who love Harry Potter and looking for similar reads, I have been recommended The Magicians Trilogy by Lev Grossman! It’s still in the works for me, but I’ve heard only good things and wouldn’t recommend it myself if I didn’t trust the source. Other sci-fi fantasy reads to check out would be Midnight Lily by Mia Sheridan; this books has a Shutter Island feel to it–sci-fi meets thriller. The Forest of Hands and Teeth by Carrie Ryan for more apocalyptic lovers, Sookie Stackhouse series by Charlaine Harris for those loved ones who miss HBO’s True Blood, and Lastly How to Hang a Witch and Haunting the Deep by Adraina Mather; be taken back in time to the Salem Witch trials and sail on the deadly Titanic ship as it once sailed!
- Marrow by Tarryn Fisher
I will forever recommend Tarryn Fisher books. She’s dark, brutal and quite amazing. If your bookish friends love thrillers and tough ass lead women this is the woman to buy from. Marrow, Mud Vein, Bad Mommy, F*ck Love, The Love Me with Lies series, Atheists Who Kneel and Pray; seriously click on the link above and buy them all! Your book lover will join the PLN’s and be eternally grateful.
If your bookworm is already a PLN and doesn’t know what to read next I would recommend Obsession by Amanda Robson; this read has a Bad Mommy feel to it.
2. Cemetery Girl by David Bell
Are your friends looking for that page turning thriller? Stop right here, you’ve found the book. When Caitlin Stuart disappears at just 12 years old her parents don’t know what to think. Was she kidnapped? Could that little voice in the corner of their mind be correct–would she purposely run away? The lengths that Caitlin’s father Tom goes through, may not be worth the answers he needs…but he needs to have them. There is so much pain lying in the unknown. Pick up your copy of Cemetery Girl here!
3. It’s Always the Husband by Michele Campbell
Do you know fans of Mean Girls? Are they book lovers too? It’s Always the Husband by Michele Campbell is a dark and twisted version of Mean Girls. You can throw away the pink clothes and the burn book–this read will show you what real backstabbing looks like.
4. The Girl on the Train and Into the Water by Paula Hawkins
Have you read one but not the other? Have you watched The Girl on the Train movie but still haven’t read the book? Did you plan on reading Into the Water but never got around to it? Now’s your chance to give the gift! These books, both different in their own ways will make you a Paula Hawkins fan for life.
5. You by Caroline Kepnes
This soon to be Lifetime drama series is worth the read before the show premieres! Book lovers unite at the bookstore, unless Joe works there.. As much as you’ll find yourself hating these characters, they’ll make you laugh. Most importantly they will terrify you. Do you really know people or just the show they put on for you? Give your friends the gift of a great thriller before the release of the show and keep your eyes open for Kepnes new release Providence a novel coming out June 2018. What is better than a fictional serial killer in your hometown?
6. Big Little Lies by Liane Moriarty
Have your book-loving friends watched HBO’s Big Little Lies featuring Reese Witherspoon, Nicole Kidman, and Shailene Woodley? Have they “been meaning to read the book“? Here’s your chance to make it happen for them! Big Little Lies is the funniest, mystery-filled thriller you will ever come across. Your loved one will devour this in one sitting. If they’ve already completed this book, give them the gift of Liane Moriarty, seriously. Choose their next victims!
A few more thrillers I would recommend would be The Couple Next Door by Shari Lapena; the fictional tale of the most f***ed up baby napping ever. How well do you know who’s sleeping beside you? Good as Gone by Amy Gentry. If you love Cemetery Girl by David Bell–this is your next read–another child missing returns home..or does she? Lastly I recommend, The Night She Won Miss America by Michael Callahan. This read is based on true events. Will we ever truly know what happened the night she won Miss America?
With the amount of romance I read, I’ll keep it simple for you guys. These are the authors I highly recommend. They are my auto-buys and have broken my heart and (sometimes) placed it back together. The hangovers each book has given me are addicting, and that is why I return for more. If you love love, I’m doing you a favor here.
- Colleen Hoover. We will skip all the praising and get to it. If your bookworm loves a ‘not your average’ love story, mixed with humor and just all around phenomenal writing–Colleen is your go-to girl. You will find all her books right here! Don’t know which one to start with? Try the beginning with Slammed, Point of Retreat, and This Girl.
- Amy Harmon. You may have noticed I mentioned her in Fantasy. She does it all and holy hell she does it well. Every book on my shelf has tear stained pages. From Making Faces, to The Law of Moses and The Song of David, from the wonderful fantasies The Bird and the Sword and The Queen and the Cure, to the heart-wrenching historical fiction From Sand and Ash. Your loved one will never read these books without tissues! All her books can be purchased here.
- Renee Carlino. I haven’t been a fan for that long but when I opened the first book of hers my fate was sealed. If your book lover enjoys the hangovers of fantastic romance stories–Renee is your first stop. Each book individually different will take a piece of your heart only to never return it, but it’s okay. These are the kinds of stories you want to give it away to. Purchase books here.
- K.A. Tucker. Get your bookworms ready with these stories. She offers Contemporary Romance, Romanic Suspense, and Young Adult. There will be something about the way K.A. Tucker’s writing speaks to your book worms, that they’ll be a forever fan of hers. Find her books here.
- S.D. Hendrickson. I found this gem on a whim. Find her with me too! Your bookworm will love this indie author and all the love and heartache she causes you to feel. Every book of hers, I know I have to prep myself for. The damage is real but like me, your book lovers will come back for more!
- Mia Sheridan and Brittainy C. Cherry. These ladies KILL the romance game. Your family and friends will find their book boyfriends easily when it comes to their books. You’ll fall hard and even harder tor their writing. Mia Sheridan’s books can be found right here, and Brittainy C. Cherry’s books will be found here!
Finding the perfect YA books can be tough, I’m here to help!
1. The Sun is Also a Star, and Everything Everything by Nicola Yoon
These books are the greatest gift your young adult could receive. Nicola Yoon takes on strong topics for teens and portrays them beautifully. These books are filled with kindness, laughter, and real life issues.
2. Matched, Crossed, Reached Trilogy by Ally Condie
Dystopian books are my FAVORITE. If you have a bookworm out there who needs their fill of dystopian worlds, these are your trilogies!
3. Textorvert by Lindsey Summers
Your YA will love this light read, just for fun! It’s a great take on texting with a cute love story to follow. Lindsey Summers wrote this book first on Watpad for free reading. The reviews took this book home for a published copy.
4. The Way I Used to Be by Amber Smith
Where Textrovert is light, The Way I Used to Be is dark. My heart hurts as I write this. If your YA reader wants a serious topic, or even if you want to educate your YA on a serious topic this is the gift for them. Amber Smith covers the topic of assault and how a young teen deals with the aftermath. This read will teach us just how important it is to always speak up.
5. Wake, Fade, Gone Trilogy by Lisa McMann
Your bookworm teens will love these books that have a sci-fi feel to them. Make sure to buy them all and buy them here! They won’t want to start without having them all, just a tip! 🙂
6. Wonder by R. J. Palacio
Did you want to take your family to the movies to see this adaptaion? Did you make sure they read the book first? WHAT? Halt right there and don’t you dare buy a ticket until you read this book. Make it fun, have a little family book club for this read. No matter your age you will feel the depths of the book so deeply in your heart. Stock up with tissues and let your heart flow with love. This book is a wonder. You should gift it
You think your book worm has too many books already? Okay, fine! There are other bookish items available for you to buy:
- Book Sac Boutique on Etsy offers your precise bookworm some comfort that their books will be safe thrown in a bag. The Book Sac helps protect your books from becoming damaged (i.e. in a purse, harsh weather conditions). I purchased my Targaryen House symbol Sac just a couple months ago, and I never leave home without it. They’re the perfect size made with fantastic quality. From simple colors, to fandom loves! Find yours today.
- LED Book Lamp. What’s so great about that? WELL, take a look for yourself! Just $32.88 on Amazon. This exact lamp was gifted to me just last year. It gives off the right amount of light without blinding you. The perfect desk accessory, all you need to do it plug it in from time to time for a charge! Your book lover will be o-b-s-e-s-s-e-d.
- Is your bookworm a tea drinker? Of course they are. I have just the gift for you. NovelTeas. Each tin is a book that comes with a bookmark. Make sure to check out their holiday special.
- Jewlery from Bookish Gifts should be your next stop. These creations are so beautiful, and book lover might cry at the sight of them! (I know I would) There’s nothing like showing off your love for books via jewelry.
- You’ll want to check out the From The Library Book Embosser for your bookish family and friends. You can customize your embosser with their name, to personalize every single book they own. I received one just last year from my mom and I screamed. My little library will always belong to moi!
- If you’re still looking for that special gift for your book lover, your last stop should be Out of Print. This site offers so many fun bookish items, you could be looking for hours. Does your bookworm relative/friend have a baby? Great they make literary onesies! In need of the perfect bookish socks? They got ’em. The amount of bookish garb you can adorn your bookworm from this site is REDIC. Have fun in there!
Shopping doesn’t have to be hard, especially if we know who we’re shopping for. With this bookish gift guide I hope to have provided you with enough options. Take a breather, and stop stressing. You can enjoy the gift of giving when you know a book lover!